STAMFORD CENTRAL SCHOOL MISSION
Our mission is to build a partnership of students, families, staff,
and community members in order to create an educational
community dedicated to excellence.
LEARNING: All children can learn. Each student is capable of
reaching his/her full potential at his/her own individual rate.
SELF-ESTEEM: Each child's self-esteem needs to be
fostered and nurtured.
ENVIRONMENT: All children are entitled to a safe and caring
atmosphere that promotes a desire to learn, as well as a
curriculum, instructional methods and expectations that challenge
them to perform at their best.
COMMUNITY: Each child's academic and social development is
enhanced by an actively participating community. All partners are encouraged to pursue life-long learning.
ASSESSMENT: Assessment must be continual, subject to periodic
review and focused on:
1. The educational process to determine its consistency
with our mission statement and beliefs.
2. Our mission statement and beliefs in light
of changing educational needs.
3. The individual participants to determine if their
educational needs are being met.
1. Each student will master the following skills:
a) Think logically and creatively
b) Apply reasoning to issues and problems
c) Determine what information is needed for particular
purposes and be able to acquire, organize, and use that
information for those purposes.
2. Each student will learn skills and gain knowledge through the
study of English language and literature and use these in their
3. Each student will learn skills and gain knowledge through the
study of foreign language and culture and use these in
4. Each student will learn skills and gain knowledge through the
study of mathematics and use these in their daily lives.
a) Perform basic mathematical calculations.
b) Understand mathematical concepts and be able
to apply these in problem-solving.
5. Each student will learn skills and gain knowledge through study of natural science, physical science and technology and use these in interdisciplinary applications.
a) Understand the scientific method.
6. Each student will learn skills, gain knowledge, and develop
aesthetic appreciation through the study of the fine arts and use
these in their daily lives.
a) Develop knowledge and appreciation of the arts.
b) Develop the ability to participate in at least one major
c) Develop the ability to make aesthetic judgements and
apply them to works of art
7. Each student will acquire knowledge about politics, the economy, history, and social institutions of this country and other countries.
8. Each student will respect and demonstrate basic
civic responsibilities and acquire the skills, knowledge,
and attitudes necessary to participate in democratic
a) Understand and accept the values of justice, due process, equality, and majority rule with respect to minority rights.
b) Apply reasoning skills and the process of democratic
government to resolve societal problems and disputes.
c) Respect people of a different race, sex, ability, cultural
heritage, national origin, religion, political, economic, and
social background and their values, beliefs, and attitudes.
9. Each student will develop general career skills, attitudes,
and work habits and make a self-assessment of career prospects.
Students not directly pursuing post-secondary education will
acquire entry-level employment skills.
10. Each student will acquire the knowledge, skills and
attitudes which will assist in achieving personal balance,
responsibility and the realization of their full potential. These
include the development of:
b) Self-discipline and commitment to excellence
d) The ability to maintain physical health
e) A commitment to lifelong learning